Nature to be seen

In our region, there are several green areas of particular interest.

Monti Aurunci Regional Park

Established in 1997, this Regional Park has an area of 47,385 hectares and lies in the Monti Aurunci Range. The park protects an area that is particularly important for certain features: the highest mountains – Pretella, S. Angelo, Altino and Redentore. All over a thousand metres high, they are very close to the coast and the influence of the sea mitigates the climate.These mountains help to block the northern air streams and to render the climate of the coast below them, very mild. The side exposed to the sea currents has sparse and barren vegetation, whereas the peaks and small inland plains have beech, ilex and cork woods, mixed with a lush Mediterranean maquis and stony ground. Olive groves are predominant at lower levels. There are numerous flower species and about twenty types of orchid, including one that has its only natural habitat here, the Ophrys Aurunca. Fauna is not very abundant and is present mainly in bird species such as the kestrel and the peregrine hawk. Remarkable karst phenomena such as gorges and sinkholes can also be seen.

Campo Soriano Natural Monument

Campo Soriano lies in the Ausoni area, between Sonnino and Terracina, 8 km from the town and at 400 m asl, covering an area of approximately 3km². This is a very lovely area of geological interest. On the hillside there is meadowland with sinkholes (between 15 and 25 metres deep) and rock “icebergs” emerging from the terrain, some rising to 15 metres in the “Rava di S. Domenico” or “Cathedral”.

Tempio di Giove Anxur Natural Monument

Monte S. Angelo has been declared a natural monument by regional law. This area is easy to spot because it is the natural “platform” supporting the Temple of Jupiter Anxur, which is part of the “monument”. Monte S. Angelo has become one of the symbols of the town of Terracina and it is also characterized by a limestone needle, known as Pisco Montano, which stands out separately from the mountain, a short distance from the sea.

The Ninfa Oasis

This oasis lies on the territory of Cisterna and Sermoneta, on the plain immediately below the town of Norma. Just after the year 1000, Ninfa was a flourishing little town developed around the karst springs that still form a small romantic lake, from which the river of the same name was born. It attained its maximum splendour at the end of the 13th Century when it was purchased by Pietro Caetani, nephew of Boniface VIII, but, over the next 150 years, it suffered a gradual decline because of fratricidal conflicts and malaria, rampant in the area. The recovery of this area commenced in 1921 by Gelasio Caetani when he set up a splendid garden amidst the ruins of the medieval town – with its remains of churches, dwellings, the castle, town hall and lake tower. The reclamation and restoration continued by the other members of the Caetani family, down to Donna Lelia, the last descendent; who set up the “Roffredo Caetani di Sermoneta” a foundation which now controls Ninfa and the Oasis, protecting fauna on approximately 800 surrounding hectares.

Riviera di Ulisse Regional Park

It is comprised of three areas with plenty of natural and cultural elements: most significant are Giànola-Monte di Scauri, Monte Orlando and Promontorio Villa di Tiberio e Costa Torre Capovento-Punta Cetarola Natural Monument.

  • Monte Orlando

    This stands on a spur, 171 metres high, above the sea in front of the Monti Aurunci, beside the old centre of Gaeta. It has a surface area of 53 hectares. This extensive environmental area has splendid views, spectacular cliffs above the sea and unusual vegetation. There are migratory and local birds, rodent mammals and small reptiles. This area also contains historical and archeological remains (the Mausoleum of L. Munazio Planco, fortifications and Bourbon batteries), the Sanctuary of the SS. Trinità and the “Montagna spaccata”, a place of worship and of great beauty.

  • Gianola-Monte di Scauri

    This park is situated on a small peninsula that rises to 128 metres in the Scauri mountain area, between Formia and Scauri-Minturno. The vegetation is marked by Mediterranean maquis and the fauna consists of hedgehogs, foxes, weasels and reptiles, as well as green lizards and tortoises. The park contains major archeological remains dating back to the 1st Century BC. These include a Roman villa sloping down to the sea and a large octagonal reservoir for the collection of rainwater, called the Temple of Janu. The picture is completed by a small jetty, Gianola harbour, built in 1930 on the fish pool of a Roman villa and the ruins of the 16th century Cavallari tower above the characteristic Sassolini beach.

  • Promontorio Villa di Tiberio Natural Monument

    In the region of the town of Sperlonga, there exists a wonderland of natural, historical, geological and paleonthological sights, amongst which the archeological area of the Villa e Grotta di Tiberio is most outstanding.


Per saperne di più